promotional card from Pearl City Tavern - Pearl City, Hawaii
Item added on December 27, 2006, 1:13 PM
Latest picture added on December 27, 2006, 1:24 PM
The Pearl City Tavern opened in 1939, under the ownership of George & Irene Fukuoka. The tavern was home to a group of live monkeys, that amused and entertained bar & restaurant patrons from a habitat behind a glass window at the bar.
The "Monkey Bar" at the PCT was a popular drinking spot for servicemen. Though the Pearl City Tavern closed in 1993 (and the building later razed to make way for a car dealership), ephemera may still be found: cocktail swizzles, bar coasters, etc., and their figural souvenir drink mugs: a ceramic monkey emblazoned with the letters PCT on the belly.
This small promotional card from the Tavern is from around the 1950's.